Pearl’s mission is to make our global community a better place by giving homeowners the tools to improve their homes’ health, comfort, efficiency, resilience — and value. We are passionate about improving the performance of residential buildings as a way to improve people’s lives and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Pearl is a national start-up that certifies high-performing homes: homes with efficient heating and cooling, solar, smart home devices, resilient features and much more. Pearl’s certification drives demand for these improvements by capturing their value for resale and appraisal.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our dynamic, supportive team to work remotely from anywhere in the US. (We have been fully remote since our founding.)
The overall purpose of this position is to extract insights from our data to move business forward - to build an internal system for conducting complex data analysis to facilitate future business decisions and provide insights to our customers.
As the Data Scientist, you will:
- Conduct research and analytic activities utilizing various data points (unstructured and structured) and write code to clean, arrange, and organize data
- Conduct data analysis and visualization to convey insights and results to both internal and external customers
- Own the full data science lifecycle including partnering with product, development, success, and quality control teams
- Source third party information as required to meaningfully contribute to our understanding
- Use machine learning and big data tools on large and complex data sets to highlight anomalies, ensure consistency, and extract insights
- Develop resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be used where it is most impactful
- Support data literacy across the organization
- Support business performance metrics and visualizations
- Development (or integration) of home energy consumption models
- Ingest, analyze, and report on home energy consumption data
What we’re looking for in a Data Scientist:
- 3+ years of data science experience
- 2+ years of experience with data visualization tools including Tableau
- A degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative disciplines or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Extremely strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Communication of complex technical work to diverse audiences
- Proficiency with Python, Linux, and Git
- Expertise in SQL (MySQL)
- Expertise (or at least high proficiency) in Tableau
- Ability to leverage and join disparate data formats and sources (i.e SQL, CSV, APIs)
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a nimble and shifting environment
- Ability to deliver rapidly with minimal oversight
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to translate ambiguous, unstructured problems into actionable data-driven analyses
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Authorization to legally work in the US (Pearl is unable to sponsor employment visas at this time)
- Please note that Pearl requires employees to be fully vaccinated (and boosted if the appropriate time period has passed) for business travel and in-person meetings; occasional travel for team and/or company wide meetings is anticipated for all positions
Nice to have:
- Previous startup experience
- Experience in any of the following fields: home contracting, solar, energy efficiency, building performance, building science
Why work at Pearl?
- We offer great growth opportunities in a dynamic, growing startup
- We are a mission-driven company, and we love what we do
- Pearl’s company culture is centered around our core values, the first of which is equality between people. We value diversity, celebrate our differences, and learn from one another. Pearl is an equal opportunity employer, and candidates from all backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply.
- Our company culture is supportive, team-based, and fun
- We are 100% remote - work where you feel comfortable
Compensation and Benefits:
- Market salary based on experience and local conditions, in the range of $90k to $130k, plus stock options
- Medical, vision and dental coverage provided for employees and their families, with optional upgrade coverage, where the employee covers only the difference in cost
- Flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life insurance, cell phone service, and 401(k) with employer match up to 4%
- 15 vacation days during the calendar year, plus holidays (including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day), sick days and paid parental leave
***RECRUITERS, AGENCIES, AND INTERESTED CANDIDATES - we kindly ask that you please do NOT reach out directly via email to Pearl founders or staff.