Pearl’s mission is to make our global community a better place by giving homeowners the tools to improve their homes’ health, comfort, efficiency, resilience — and value. We are passionate about improving the performance of residential buildings as a way to improve people’s lives and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Pearl is a national start-up that certifies high-performing homes: homes with efficient heating and cooling, solar, smart home devices, resilient features, and much more. Pearl’s certification drives demand for these improvements by capturing their value for resale and appraisal.
We seek a Vice President to lead our Real Estate Division as part of our dynamic, supportive, nationwide team. This position can work remotely from anywhere in the United States.
Pearl’s real estate division is responsible for ensuring that Pearl’s Certification system and products are broadly accepted and used by the U.S. real estate sector, including brokers and agents, associations, real estate technology firms, appraisers, and lenders. The VP is responsible for developing and growing all real estate-related lines of revenue. S/he also plays the leading role in ensuring that Pearl’s brand promise is realized – that Pearl Certification adds value to a high-performing home at time of sale.
The VP will incur overall responsibility for understanding the needs of Pearl’s real estate sector customers, and developing new or enhancing existing products to meet those needs. This position will oversee the division’s strategic goals of generating revenue from different customers within the real estate industry, including brokerages and agents, software and data service providers, and online portals, and for ensuring the satisfaction of these customers. They will expand this division, build a sales team, and will be responsible for hitting revenue goals and expense targets.
The VP of Real Estate will also work with Pearl’s executive team to position the firm to take advantage of opportunities created by the IRA through engagement with the real estate sector. The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) represents an unprecedented opportunity to transform the housing stock and create a marketplace for high performing homes. Included in the IRA are two rebate programs that target residential energy efficiency, one of which requires a third-party certification. Pearl Certification is a third-party certification provider. As such, we have a unique opportunity to position ourselves strategically by creating demand for our network of contractors, builders, and real estate agents.
As the Vice President of the Real Estate Division, you will:
- Develop and enhance the residential real estate process that ensures Pearl Certification adds value to high-performing homes at the time of sale, including:
- Expand and enhance the national Pearl Real Estate Partner network of high-performing agents and brokers;
- Develop a real estate certifier network;
- Continued operation of the Pearl Appraiser Council;
- Develop the networks of partner brokers, agents, appraisers, and lenders in target market regions such that the Pearl brand is widely recognized within the region’s real estate community and Pearl Certified homes routinely sell for a premium.
- Develop new lines of revenue, which may include real estate lead generation and farming, agent/broker revenues, and data sales
- Create and implement a strategic plan for the growth of the Real Estate division while leading and managing a team
- Over time, the VP of Real Estate will also take the lead in developing and staffing strategies to negotiate and establish partnerships that may involve but are not limited to:
- Sale/sharing of Pearl data to RE data providers
- Incorporation of Pearl products (Green Door Homeowner App, estimated scoring widget) into real estate software and online portals to dramatically expand Pearl’s visibility
- Enhance Pearl's visibility on major real estate sites (Zillow, Realtor.com, etc.)
- Develop partnerships with firms involved in the resale transaction (Redfin, Offerpad, etc.)
- Develop Partnerships with professional investors (Blackstone, other REO portfolios)
What we’re looking for in a Vice President of the Real Estate Division:
- Authorization to legally work in the US (Pearl is unable to sponsor employment visas at this time)
- Deep understanding of the RESIDENTIAL real estate industry and real estate agent business models, including the:
- Residential real estate sales transaction
- Appraisal process
- Economics of a real estate brokerage
- Industry’s data infrastructure
- Emerging trends within the industry
- Demonstrated experience developing strategic plans and department growth
- Strong strategic-thinker - can overcome complex problems with creativity and limited resources, plan for the future, and meet business objectives
- Immediate understanding of Pearl’s value proposition in relation to an agent’s day to day business and how to immerse Pearl into their vision
- Ability to build and manage strong partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Competent in business development: ability to conceptualize and negotiate business partners with a wide range of real estate service providers
- Experience managing P&L responsibilities, including meeting growth revenue targets and keeping expenses within budget
- Leadership and team-building experience to grow the division and coordinate with other divisions within Pearl
- Ability to provide oversight of real estate-related product development
- Excellent public presentation abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Nice to have:
- Previous startup experience
- Knowledge of PropTech software development and integration strategies
- Experience in any of the following fields: home contracting, solar, energy efficiency, building performance, building science
What we’re NOT looking for:
- Property, asset, rental or investment portfolio management, facilities and building management, site selection, corporate or retail real estate experience. While these professional experiences are nice to have, they will not be helpful in achieving success in this role without significant knowledge of the residential real estate data ecosystem and expertise with the networks and departmental responsibilities listed above.
Why work at Pearl?
- We offer great growth opportunities in a dynamic, growing startup
- We are a mission-driven company, and we love what we do
- Pearl’s company culture is centered around our core values, the first of which is equality between people. We value diversity, celebrate our differences, and learn from one another. Pearl is an equal opportunity employer, and candidates from all backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply.
- Our company culture is supportive, team-based, and fun
- We are 100% remote - work where you feel comfortable
Compensation and Benefits:
- Market salary based on experience and local conditions, in the range of $150k to $185k, plus stock options
- Medical, vision and dental coverage provided for employees and their families, with optional upgrade coverage, where the employee covers only the difference in cost
- Flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life insurance, cell phone service, and 401(k) with employer match up to 4%
- 15 vacation days during the calendar year, plus holidays (including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day), a floating holiday for your birthday, sick days and paid parental leave